Thursday 13 October 2016

Guest review: Wolford Opaque 70 Tights

We recently published a guest review of the Falke Pure Matt 100 Tights by USA-based Hosiery For men reader Lei.

Lei has now sent us another detailed review and this time he focuses on the Wolford Opaque 70 Tights.





About me


Male, 5’10’’, around 155lb, average build.

I have recently purchased a pair of Wolford Opaque 70 Tights, size XL, in color black.

I bought them from UK Tights.




Purchasing experience and packaging

I read a number of reviews of Wolford-branded tights before committing to the purchase, and went with the rarer Opaque 70 instead of the Velvet De Luxe 66 as I hear that it has a somewhat better fit and is quite a bit cheaper than the Velvet De Luxe 66.

The package came in nicely wrapped in plastic and the tights felt soft and luxurious in hand right out of the package. The unboxing experience definitely made me felt it was money well-spent!

First impressions


One word: soft. These tights feel very soft and silky in my hands, and very stretchy when I try to pull on them.

There is a nice little tag to tell between your Wolford’s and other tights (don’t worry, you won’t feel the tag at all).



Opacity is about what I’d expect for 70 deniers, as you can see, when I stretch my hand in the foot area of the tights, I can see through them somewhat.



These tights are made with 92% Polyamide and 8% Elastane.

After washing these for the first time (by hand), they feel strangely… less velvety. Maybe my expectations were tempered by the other pair of tights I bought and reviewed simultaneously (the Falke Pure Matt 100), but it seemed to me that these tights have a slight edge of roughness to them, at least on my hands.



Design

These tights are what I might call semi-opaque, without much of a sheen to them.

There is a gusset and no back panel; the seams are flat and comfortable – you won’t feel them.





Wearing experience, sizing, and fit


As I mentioned, I’m 5’10’’ and around 155lb. A pair in size L may have fit me, but I erred on the side of caution given the expense and bought the XL.


After putting them on, I can see that these are not perfect opaque – that’s what I’d have expected for 70 deniers. They are pleasantly soft and stretchy – at times I did worry that if I pull too hard I’ll ruin them, but that might be due to more the money I spent on them instead of their actual quality.

They fit me perfectly – no excess anywhere, though given the stretchiness I’d imagine that they can easily fit someone larger than me.

The waistband is very comfortable – tight and snug enough to not slide too much, but not so tight that you feel constricted. That, to me, is my personal highlight.





One thing I noticed: after hand-washing the tights, I noticed that they actually picked up quite a bit of dust from the washing/drying process and sitting in the drawer (you can see the dust in the various pictures). To my dismay, the dust does not seem to come off easily.

Color range


The Wolford Opaque 70 Tights are available in Black, Anthracite, and Admiral (Navy) from UK Tights. The ones I tested are in Black.



Price

The Wolford Opaque 70 Tights are available (for a limited time only!) for £20.99, or $26.03 for buyers in the States.

Verdict

These are excellent tights, soft, stretchy, and comfortable. But would I buy another pair of these? I’m not sure… the price is a bit on the high end and I personally feel that these are a bit overpriced. They are not as soft and velvety as the Falke tights (which are around the same price or cheaper to boot), and the dustiness, which I did not expect after one washing, was surprising to me.

Would I get these instead of some supermarket brands like Hanes or some ballet tights like Balera, which are not as soft or stretchy, have a far worse waistband, but are significantly cheaper? I would, yes, but personally, I would wait for a sale.

1 comment:

  1. Wow ma'am you look amazing wearing those tights

    ReplyDelete