Friday 24 April 2020

Introducing The Tights Club

The Tights Club is a tights subscription service. Not only does it provides tights of your choice every month, the products are also environmentally friendly.



To find out more we recently spoke to Leanne, founder of The Tights Club.

A tights subscription service is still quite a new concept. Can you tell Hosiery For Men readers why you started The Tights Club?


I used to work in the City where the dress code was smart and free time limited. Very often I’d get down to my last few pairs of tights which always had holes – usually where my big toe would stick through. As I’m sure you’ll know, it can feel like they might actually be cutting it off over the course of the day. Then when you did find the time to actually go and stock up, they didn’t have the right size in the right denier and colour! So it occurred to me that a subscription service that delivered tights through your letterbox would really help people in a similar situation as me.

How do The Tights Club tights subscriptions work?


We have two types of subscription – a seasonal subscription where members receive opaques in the colder months and sheers when it warms up. The switchover is automatic which is important as I want it to be something that people can sign up to and forget about, in a good way.



We also have individual product subscriptions for those that wear the same tights all year round. We even have members who like a 60 denier no matter the season!


Members can choose to receive their tights every month, second month or third month. And they can pause or cancel anytime. They can also switch the product they receive. 

Can you tell us more about the tights available at The Tights Club? What styles are currently available?

The aim is to keep it simple, so I’ve focused on the basics just now – a 15 denier sheer, a 40 denier and a 70 denier. The seasonal subscription gets you 15 denier sheers from May to September and the 40 denier opaque the rest of the year. In a recent survey we did have a request for a surprise pair of fashion tights every now and then but on reflection we didn’t feel that worked from a sustainability perspective.



Being environmentally-friendly seems to be key your ethos. How do you currently support sustainability?


It’s something I’d been working on in my own life for a while so I was so excited when I found these Re, Cycled tights! They are made from recycled material (the offcuts from regular production) using the same luxurious Italian yarn. As a result, they use 90% less water and produce 80% less emissions. The packaging is also completely plastic free and made from recycled cardboard.


I am also starting a recycling club where members can send their tights back to us and when we have the volume we will get them commercially recycled.

I am also starting a new series called Simple Sustainable Swaps which will take followers through other tried and tested sustainable alternatives to everyday items. It will be on our Instagram but email subscribers will also get an inforgraphic with everything they need to know about its sustainable credentials and hopefully a few discounts!


Men buying tights is an established part of the hosiery market now. Have you managed to attract any male customers so far? What kind of service can guys expect when buying tights from you?

We haven’t yet! But in in general I would love to make the service as inclusive as possible which for me means a wide range of sizes and colour choices for sheers. We are restricted by what out supplier, Charnos, produces at the moment but it’s definitely something I want to develop in the future. When I found these sustainable tights I had to make a call on what to focus on, so that came with trade-offs in terms of range. 


There is always quite a lot of media interest in the subject of tights for men. What are your thoughts about the greater acceptability of men wearing tights?


I think we should accept people as the individuals they are. Each to their own, we should all be able to dress as we please without criticism.



What are you planning for the future at The Tights Club?


In addition to our Simple Sustainable Swaps series, we are going through a re-brand which is really exciting! The website was developed years ago when the business was very much a side project and doesn’t quite fit with the new sustainable range. I can’t wait to see the first designs!


Other than that, I’m just really looking forward to seeing it grow. We have had such lovely feedback from our members so I’m looking forward to helping others in the same way. We are so short of time and mental space these days so if we can help give even a little of that back that would be great! And our members can get that knowing that they’ve made a sustainable choice too.

Great to speak to you Leanne. I hope Hosiery For Men readers will check out The Tights Club.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a man and wear tights all the time I wear them with shorts I also like to wear Stockings and hold ups and I wil be subscribing to the tights club

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather wear pantyhose then boxer shorts any day of the week I much prefer the feeling and the way they give me a extra layer so why not given them a chance I would wear them all the time

    ReplyDelete