Tuesday 27 April 2021

Introducing Brown Skin Essentials

We love introducing brands to Hosiery For Men readers, especially when they have been created with passion and commitment.

Today we showcase Brown Skin Essentials, who aim to provide "the perfect nude for every skin tone".





We recently spoke to the founder of Brown Skin Essentials Kumutha Ramanathan.

What can you tell Hosiery For Men readers about Brown Skin Essentials? What does the brand stand for and why did you create it?

Brown Skin Essentials is a lifestyle brand for people of colour. I am a Sri Lankan woman who was raised in Toronto, Canada. Two clear experiences would culminate in the creation of Brown Skin Essentials (BSE). First, I moved to the UK nine years ago and love the life I’ve built here. As I was preparing for job interviews early on, I tried to find tights in my skin tone at high street shops, but wasn’t able to. I didn’t feel properly represented in the stores that I was spending so much money in, and it dawned on me that I probably wasn’t alone. It took a few years before I had the courage to launch the brand, but I’m so glad that I did.

A further seminal moment came while I was briefly living in Manhattan, New York during my graduate studies. I explored the city with one of my friends from Canada who was a closeted gay man back home. He felt unshackled by family and societal pressure in NYC. We went to gay clubs together and I came across beautiful people of different gender identities who wore tights, make up, etc. I realised the definition of beauty really needed to be expanded to include them as well.

These experiences would inspire the creation of BSE. I don’t just subscribe to the belief that you should be yourself, but take it a step forward by celebrating individuality. We all have different identities and roles in life, and my brand aims to celebrate you in all your glory. By day you may be a corporate type, but want to kick up your heels in the evening with a sexy outfit. We want to help you achieve your best at every stage.


Light Brown Sand tights

In a quite crowded hosiery market, what’s unique about Brown Skin Essentials?

The unprecedented colour and size range plus the quality at a competitive price point has made us stand out very quickly.


Light Brown Almond tights

Can you tell us more about Brown Skin Essentials tights? What styles are currently available?

We have launched a traditional boxer brief range from sizes small to 4XL to offer a more durable product. We are also expanding into T band and hold ups in the near future.


Brown Sugar tights

It was great to hear that you have male customers. Are men are growing part of your customer base? What kind of service can guys expect when buying tights from you?

I’m so proud that many of my most passionate customers are men and other people of varied gender identities who haven’t been able to find quality products for themselves at a reasonable price. It is a privilege to count them as loyal fans who are always reaching out with suggestions on new products to offer.

My team and I regularly have customers who are reaching out with photos of themselves and asking me for advice on which shade would match their skin tone. We love helping them find the perfect style that suits their lifestyle.


Honey Brown tights

There is always quite a lot of media interest in the subject of tights for men. What are your thoughts about the greater acceptability of men wearing tights?

Many of my male customers are more conservative by day, wearing tights under their office clothes. They keep their BSE tights on in the evenings, pairing them with a racy outfit. This is why we celebrate individuality – we want you to feel your best in each walk of life.


Cafe Brown tights

To men thinking about trying tights, what would you say are the main benefits of wearing them?

Most importantly, they offer a light gloss over minor leg imperfections, distracting from the look of scars or indentation, for instance. We all have our issues, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t enjoy rocking a leggy look!

Beyond being highly durable, our tights also offer added comfort under trousers so your skin isn’t rubbing against your clothes, plus a thin layer of warmth as the seasons change.

Dark Chocolate Brown tights

What are you planning next at Brown Skin Essentials?

Quality is at the core of everything we do, so I want to grow the brand at a pace that allows me to maintain high standards. We will diversify into different beauty areas over the next few months and years to come. Beyond shopping on our main site www.brownskinessentials.com, our customers have also been able to connect with us on e-retailer sites. We will keep expanding our foothold both online and in shops.

Great to speak to you Kumutha I hope Hosiery For Men readers will check out Brown Skin Essentials.

You can follow Brown Skin Essentials on Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment